Billericay Dental Care

Want to improve your smile? Click here to book a FREE video consultation with our expert.

Close this search box.

Want to improve your smile?Click here to book a FREE video consultation with our expert.

A good-looking smiling woman cleaning her teeth with a dental floss

How to improve healthy teeth and maintain a natural smile

top tips on how to improve and maintain a natural healthy teeth.

Good oral health is important to your overall well-being.  Your oral health is recognised to be a good marker of your general well-being.

Daily preventive care, including proper brushing and flossing, will help stop problems before they develop.  This should be supplemented with regular dentist and hygienist visits.  But do not be fooled into believing they should be every 6 months for all!  The recall is individual to your oral hygiene at that particular visit.  We follow UK government recognised and validated recall protocols, so you see the dentist as often as is clinically necessary.

If your gums do hurt or bleed while brushing or flossing, or you are experiencing persistent bad breath, see your dentist. Any of these conditions may indicate a problem.  Early detection is vital in maintaining good oral health. Here are 14 ways to prevent bad oral hygiene and maintain a healthy teeth.


  1. Brush your teeth for 2 minutes twice a day with a toothpaste containing 1450 ppm fluoride 
  2. It is most important to brush your teeth last thing at night, you should also ideally brush before breakfast but you can choose another time in the day 
  3. Use an electric toothbrush – There have been various studies to show electric toothbrushing is far superior to manual brushing.  It doesn’t matter which brush you choose.  If you see us at Billericay Dental Care we can advise you on the most suitable electric brush for you 
  4. If you do use a manual toothbrush it should have a small head with soft filaments 
  5. Have a hygienist check your tooth brushing and flossing technique.  There is more to it then you may realise 
  6. Appropriately sized interdental brushes are essential for those with gaps between their teeth no matter how small 
  7. Floss and correct sized ID brushes should be used every night before brushing, because by brushing we remove only 60% of plaque and bacteria. The remaining 40% is between teeth which can’t be removed by toothbrush. Therefore we need to use ID cleaning 
  8. Spit out after brushing and do not rinse 
  9. Replace your toothbrush every three months or sooner if the bristles are frayed/splayed 
  10. Clean your tongue every morning after brushing.  You can buy special tongue cleaners from your hygienist 
  11. The frequency and amount of sugary food and drinks should be limited to meal times, sugars should not be consumed more than 4 times per day 
  12. Smoking is harmful for both your general as well as your oral health and can damage ligaments and tissues between tooth and gum 
  13. Alcohol: reduce consumption to moderate recommended level (Female: up to 2-3  units/day   Male: up to 3-4 units/day), 2 days free from alcohol for everyone 
  14. Visit your dentist/hygienist regularly for professional cleanings and oral exams.

Share this –


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Contact Form side